The hardest part of the early weeks of my baby-growing experience has been trying to eat healthy when all I want is CARBS & DAIRY! For some people this wouldn't be an issue, but for me this was the worst! Carbs and dairy have never been foods that I can partake in regularly, not if I wanted to see the results of my hard work in the gym, anyways!
So...how do you get the good veggies and fruits that you and your baby need when the thought of them makes you want to puke (literally)? I jumped on the SMOOTHIE train!
A few tips & tricks I've picked up along the way about smoothie-making:
1. Freeze your fruit! (It is done best to wash it, lay the fruit out to dry then use freezer bags to package them up!)
2. Pre-package your smoothie ingredients, the less work you have in the early AM, the better!
3. Use some type of protein: organic plain/greek yogurt, vegan protein powder etc., and fat: avocado, nut butter, or coconut oil, fiber: hemp hearts, chia seeds, flax seed meal (usually 1-2 tablespoons depending on your thickness preference), and veggie: raw spinach or kale work great in smoothies! (grab a healthy handful)
4. ALWAYS add a veggie. Period. I like spinach, carrots and even avocados!
5. Use a base that will bring flavor and texture, I like orange juice, pineapple juice or almond milk. Remember, go easy on the juice...it has sugar too! A little goes a long way here.
Got any good & tasty smoothie recipes you like, please comment or respond, trust me I'd appreciate it!